March 2nd, 2009
50 Slim-Down Secrets includes – Tips to jump-start your weight loss – Is it really worth the amount of exercise you’ll have to do to burn it off? – Low fat recipes under 300 calories – Smart fast-food switches – and How to spice it up and cut calories at the same time.
Here are my favorites:
- Don’t skip meals. This slows down your metabolism by 20% to 30% and could lead you to overeat later on.
- Eat a good breakfast. Research indicates that people who eat breakfast tend to consume fewer total calories throughout the day. A combo of high-fiber, protein and carbohydrates works best to keep you fuller longer.
- Rate your hunger [throughout your day] on a scale of 1 (not at all hungry but could nibble) to 5 (famished); aim to eat only when you’re in the 3 to 4 range [or every 3 to 4 hours].
- Visualize portion sizes. A 4-oz serving of meat, chicken or fish is about the size of your palm. A 1-oz serving of cheese is the size of 4 dice.
- Get enough sleep. Studies have found that sleeping fewer than 8 hours a night is linked to a higher body mass index (BMI); lack of sleep influences hormones that regulate your appetite.